A passion of Owen’s is working with young musicians and he has the skill and personality which enables immediate engagement, enthusiasm and motivation. Owen is in demand in a range of activities in music education and youth music. He has designed, conducted and presented school concerts with New Zealand’s professional orchestras and is engaged often as an adjudicator at band and orchestra festivals, chamber music competitions and solo contests in Australia and New Zealand.
His greatest love perhaps though is involvement as Music Director at music camps and workshops. Whether they are over a number of days such as the Queensland Youth Band Camp or the New Zealand Youth Symphonic Wind Band, or one-off workshops with school, youth or amateur ensembles, he delights in assisting and building confidence within an ensemble and with musicians individually.
Owen always carries out these activities with a high degree of enthusiasm, energy and professionalism. Feedback from organisers and ensemble directors include mention of his detailed feedback and reports, his ability to engage students and adults, and his balance between demanding a high standard while maintaining the fun and joy of making music.
Below are selected orchestra, band, chamber and solo festivals and competitions in New Zealand and Australia that Owen has acted as adjudicator, music director or clinician.
- State Honours Ensemble Programme SHEP (Brisbane, Capricornia, Darling Downs)
- Queensland Band Association State Band and Solo Championships
- Rhapsody Rotorua International Music Festival (Wind Band and Orchestra)
- Queensland Youth Band (Brass Band)
- New Zealand Secondary Schools Symphony Orchestra Courses
- New Zealand Youth Symphonic Winds
- Toowoomba Eisteddfod, AUS (Wind and Brass Band, and solo instrumental)
- KBB Festival, Auckland NZ (Wind Band and Orchestra)
- Chamber Music New Zealand Schools’ National Chamber Music Competition
- New Zealand Concert Band Association National Festival (Wind Band)
- South Auckland Music Festival, NZ (Wind and Brass Band)
- New Zealand Brass Band Assn. National Championships (Instrumental, ensemble)
- Wellington and Auckland Brass Band Association Contest, NZ (Solo instrumental)
- ABI Brass Festival, Auckland, NZ (Brass Band and solo instrumental)
- Southern Jam, NZ (Jazz Ensemble and Big Band)
- Victoria University of Wellington, NZ (Performance examinations)